Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Future of the Oceans is in Our Hands

Writing a public blog for the first time has proven to be a rewarding experience for me. I began this journey as part of the curriculum for the Social Web for Social Change course at BGI. We were asked to create weekly posts on a topic of our choosing related to sustainability. I have been a life long water person and see the health of our oceans as one of the greatest sustainability issues in the world today. Deciding to write about it was an easy choice for me. What has surprised me is how much I have learned about not only the issues related to ocean health and conservation, but how effective a tool the social web can be in creating change and raising awareness. 

Over the last 8 weeks I have researched a wide range of topics related to marine conservation. I created posts discussing; feeding a growing human population and the plight of the bluefin tuna, the importance of Marine Protected Areas, the effects of oil spills on the oceans, the connections between life on land and life in the seas, the effects of climate change on ocean chemistry, and plastic pollution. There are many more issues I would like to cover, but the fall term is coming to an end and my new courses will require my full attention. With new courses starting I will not be able to post weekly to this blog, but I do plan to keep it going, perhaps posting once a month as opposed to once a week. I thank all of my readers for their time and  commitment to ocean conservation.

Perhaps the biggest take away for me over the course of this project is that the number one issue our oceans face is a lack of awareness. Social media is a powerful tool to spread awareness and engage people in the fight to protect our oceans. The future of our oceans is in our hands. We can make a difference, everyone of us. I ask you all to do your part, here are 101 Ways to make a difference. Over the last 8 weeks I have created a stack of bookmarks related to this project in delicious and encourage any of you who are interested in learning more and looking for ways to make a difference to explore the links and get involved.


Get involved, get wet, tell your friends and remember to take only pictures and leave only bubbles!

4 comments:

  1. Just catching up with your blog ben. I will be reading backwards. Good stuff. I encourage you to keep the blog going in the future. This is an area you are very passionate about and I can assert that you can continue to blog without too much effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be thinking of you and the Marine environment when I visit Sanibel Island next week. So glad that you took the opportunity to write this blog! Keep following those fish fins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Please keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what is the creature in the pic

    ReplyDelete