Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Join the conversation: What do you love about the ocean?

I have been inspired by the organization Oceana and their sweeping efforts to support ocean conservation. They are doing a admirable job in spreading the word and prompting engagement. Their latest effort is centered around Thanksgiving. As many of us in the United States join with family and friends to celebrate all that we are thankful for, I ask you to consider the oceans and the contributions they make to our lives. We have much to appreciate and be thankful for. Starting today Oceana's blog The Beacon is launching a campaign that asks you to join a conversation and share what you love about the ocean on their Twitter page using the hashtag #oceangiving and to sign up with HelpAttack to donate a little money every time someone tweets with #oceangiving. I hope that in some small way my blog supports the efforts being made by Oceana and the many other groups and individuals who share my passion for ocean conservation. Join the conversation, get involved, and make a difference.


4 comments:

  1. Ben. Nothing is taken for granted more than the oceans. This is a great way to bring attention to the one thing on which all life depends. A great example of using the social web for social change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do I love about the ocean? I love looking in tide pools and the childlike curiosity it sparks within me. This is a great campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me the ocean is beauty. It's what washes away the stress of the city and gives me clarity. Beyond that, the life-giving capacity of the ocean is amazing, and it greatly saddens me that humans have been poor stewards of it. Thanks for bringing more awareness to these issues with your blog. I hope more people will be mobilized to be part of the solution because of messages like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that I am also a water person. I was fortunate to live in Santa Barbara CA for 9 years. Santa Barbara is a coastal city with the pacific to the west and south of the city. I very much enjoyed doing a season of outrigger canoeing and sailing lessons. The ocean represents a great lesson for all of us. It eternal nature that transcends our life times reminds me to always place things in perspective. Thank you for your passion.

    ReplyDelete